Still lots of work to go, but I'm making pretty good progress. As with the previous updates, here is the before picture. Besides the poor basing, I always disliked the shields for the cavalry; it looked like they were defending themselves with large slices of watermelon.
First up is the Carthaginian Hannibal set from 1st Corps to command the army. The figures are well sculpted for their age, though the same horse pose is used for both figures, which is a bit disappointing for a small unit.
Hannibal does not come with a shield, but I added one made from a cut down infantry shield. I used LBMS transfers to give the figures a more modern feel.
Next up is a war elephant, also from 1st Corps. This old pewter design appears to have since been replaced with a new resin sculpt, which is probably for the best, as there are now a lot better elephants on the market. Still, he'll get the job done.
I kept the old shield decals and didn't do much differently other than add some washes and highlights.
Last up are the Newline Designs Carthaginian cavalry. When I received mine back in the day, no musician was included, though they seem to have one now. There are only two horse poses and two spearmen poses, so not a lot of variety when compared to more modern lines.
I've done my best to hide the lack of variety with color variations and more LBMS decals, but I'm not sure how effective it is. There are no decals made specifically for the Newline figures, so I used a mix (my Newline set had 3 shield types) of cavalry and infantry transfers designed for 1st Corps. They weren't a perfect fit, but still look better than the old watermelon shields.
With that, I'm now a little over a third of the way through the refurbishment/expansion, and will soon have enough for a pilot game of Hail Caesar next month.
Post a Comment