Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Into the Wasteland: Feral Ghouls and TTCombat Terrain

I'm back with some more 3D prints from Vermillion Miniatures and purchased from TeenageWastelandUS. These ghouls come from the Necropolis set.

32mm 3D print feral ghouls from Vermillion Miniatures for Fallout plus  wasteland scatter terrain

I opted to paint three of the figures as Glowing Ones. Originally I tried to mimic the computer games color schemes, with the glow coming from the recesses and the skin being darker, but I never managed to get it to look right.  As such, I flipped it around and think it looks much better, even if it's not fully accurate. I also kept the clothing with the same green tint as I thought other colors looked distracting.

32mm 3D print glowing ones feral ghouls from Vermillion Miniatures for Fallout

Your standard feral ghouls. A few of them had some broken fingers, but I only opted to replace one hand out of the bits box and left the others missing as a sign of rot. 

32mm 3D print feral ghouls from Vermillion Miniatures for Fallout

32mm 3D print feral ghouls from Vermillion Miniatures for Fallout

A bit of scatter terrain. As is unfortunately common with 3D prints, you can see the print lines on the toxic waste barrels. I did a little sanding, but didn't feel they were worth the effort needed to get the fully smooth. However, I think they still look pretty good once painted.

32mm 3D print wasteland scatter terrain from Vermillion Miniatures for Fallout

I needed a break for painting figures, so decided to switch over to a bit of terrain.  There are a couple of companies making ruined modern terrain, but I selected some of TTCombat's MDF kits, as they were relatively budget friendly, seemed sturdy, and had the types of buildings I wanted.  The kits did not have labeled parts and the downloadable instructions were not always clear, so at times it could be challenging to figure out what I was supposed to be constructing at a particular step. I also found some instances where the pieces didn't fit well and either required sanding or putty to fill gaps. As such, I recommend dry fitting everything first before adding glue. The kits also included some MDF accessories such as a dumpster and cola machine, but their MDF nature was very obvious.  I decided not to use them and will look for resin or 3D print replacement options (which TTCombat also sells). That said, I am still happy with the final results.

First up is the ruined Stan's Drive Thru restaurant.  The roof does not lift off, but there is a large enough gap on the back to allow you to place miniatures inside.  It also comes with a sperate destroyed sign. Overall, a very nice kit.

TTCombat 28mm-32mm ruined Stan's Drive Thru terrain for the Fallout wasteland

TTCombat 28mm-32mm ruined Stan's Drive Thru terrain for the Fallout wasteland

TTCombat 28mm-32mm ruined Stan's Drive Thru terrain for the Fallout wasteland

Next is the ruined Dinogas gas/petrol station.  This kit ended up being much larger than I expected, but I'm not complaining.  The roof of the building lifts offs, but the collapsed section is attached to the roof with two tabs and comes off with it. The cover for the filling bay also attaches to the building, but it is only by a single tab. To me, these are going to be significant weak points that will fail if you try to glue the tabs in, so I'm just dry fitting them together for play and will store the building in parts.

TTCombat 28mm-32mm ruined Dinogas Deluxe gas/petrol station terrain for the Fallout wasteland

TTCombat 28mm-32mm ruined Dinogas Deluxe gas/petrol station terrain for the Fallout wasteland

TTCombat 28mm-32mm ruined Dinogas Deluxe gas/petrol station terrain for the Fallout wasteland

TTCombat 28mm-32mm ruined Dinogas Deluxe gas/petrol station terrain for the Fallout wasteland

The kits are advertised as being for 28mm-32mm figures, but I think they are actually oversized for this. The doors on both kits are around 50mm tall, which is around 1/43 scale compared to a standard American door height of approximately 7 feet. As you can see, my regular 32mm trooper looks pretty short next to it, though the larger power armor figures seems a bit more reasonable.  Considering this, I would definitely not try to use these with smaller figures. 

TTCombat 28mm-32mm terrain size compared to 32mm miniatures

 

1 comment:

  1. The buildings look great! I ended up moving away from TT Combat and using more Sarissa Precision because of the roofs. You did an amazing job on making these look destroyed. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete