Monday, June 5, 2023

Punic Wars: More Refurbished Units

 

Work continues on refurbishing my old Carthaginian army.

First up is another unit of African hoplites from 1st Corps Miniatures. This unit has the convex shields, so I opted to replace my old decals with some from Little Big Men Studios, as I thought they would apply better than on the concave shields used by the other unit. I was a few short, so supplemented them with some designed for Crusader Carthaginians; the size was very close.

28mm Carthaginian Miniatures from 1st Corps with Little Big Men Studios transfers for Hail Caesar and Warhammer Ancient Battles

Next up are some Ligurians from Old Glory Miniatures. I received these as part of a mixed bag of second hand figures, so opted to combine the swordsmen with the javelinmen (converted to longer spears) as a light infantry unit. There was no standard bearer with the figures, so I converted one javelinman using a leftover standard from my plastic Numidians. Old Glory can be hit or miss in terms of sculpting quality, but I found these to be reasonably good en masse and the shield transfers helped improve the appearance (It seems they shared shield types with the OG Celtic range). 

28mm Ligurian Miniatures from Old Glory with Little Big Men Studios transfers for Hail Caesar and Warhammer Ancient Battles

I don't know much about the Ligurians, but the online drawings I found depicted something between the other Italian tribes and the Celtic peoples. I went with influences from both when painting the fabrics and also threw in one of Charlie Brown's ancestors for my own amusement.

28mm Ligurian Miniatures from Old Glory with Little Big Men Studios transfers for Hail Caesar and Warhammer Ancient Battles

Last are two units of repainted Libyan javelinmen from Newline Design Miniatures.  They only came with 3 poses and the sculpting style is a bit old fashioned, but I think the LBMS transfers (I used leftovers from the Wargames Factory Numidians) helped elevate them somewhat. 

28mm Libyan Miniatures from Newline Designs with Little Big Men Studios transfers for Hail Caesar and Warhammer Ancient Battles

Here they were prior to refurbishment.

28mm Libyan Miniatures prior to refurbishment

Since my original painting, I've learned they favored red tunics and also were known for their tattoos, so I tried to capture that this time around. I don't know what the tattoos exactly looked like, so used some modern Berber tattoos and Carthaginian icons for inspiration.

28mm Libyan Miniatures from Newline Designs with Little Big Men Studios transfers for Hail Caesar and Warhammer Ancient Battles

No comments:

Post a Comment