Sunday, August 30, 2015

Chinese Warlords: Chinese Executioners

Work and home life have been slowing me down a bit lately, but I'm still plugging away on painting my Chinese warlord army.  Just off the table is my executioner team:


As with the rest of the figures currently in the army, they are from Copplestone Castings (though I now have some Brigade figures on the way).  I think of these teams as terrifying psychological weapons, so I've decided to make mine rather gruesome looking and go heavy on the gore.


The ground has been given a coating of blood, dry brushed with gloss medium to make it look fresh, and plenty of splatter has hit the executioner himself.  The prisoners' skin has also been given a  wash of deep red and violet to show the vicious beatings they took in their final days.


Though this vignette is much more shocking than something I would normally put on the table, I think it really captures the horror of what it represents.

11 comments:

  1. Superb! I remember seeing some photos of Chinese Executioners at work. Very powerful images. Your vignette prefectly captures that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, that is gruesome looking. Well done.
    So are they stationed behind the battle line to "encourage" the others?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the idea. In "Contemptible Little Armies" their presence can eliminate one morale role.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brutal! Good work though. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a strong piece of work, but superbly realised.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work. Its a bloody business indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really is a rather grim vignette. Fantastic work nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete